Saturday, December 8, 2007

Jolly Old St. Nick

Little preschooler Henry came up to me the other day and said, "Look, Mrs. Berends!" He showed me a little green toy airplane. Then he said, "St. Nicholas brought it to me!" He was so excited. Immediately I got all excited, too, and shared with him and his mother about how my family also celebrated the feast of St. Nicholas when I was growing up. What a kick to hear that someone still does that! I think most people (including my own kids) think I made up all the stories I've told about it. Of course we are going back a couple generations here and things were different then, simpler. So St.Nick had a plastic mask and smelled like whiskey - he still got across his threatening message that we'd better be good the rest of December! Those were the days!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I am not familiar with the Feast of St. Nicholas :(