Friday, June 27, 2008

Cedar Rapids Flood

This is what most every house in these flooded neighborhoods looked like last weekend. Only in some areas, it looked even muddier - darker brown. House after house on street after street. I just kept praying for these folks as we drove along. There were lots of people out working, looking hot and tired, and maybe not knowing what to do next. On the top of one large heap of junk was a huge picture of Jesus. We went by too fast to snap a picture of it, but I thought wow, I hope they are not throwing Him out of their lives, but rather showing that He still reigns on top!
Here is a fence. All the fences caught debris. That was fascinating and nasty.
Here is a house that moved off its foundation and onto the street. I think Brad once lived there.
These trees are down by the river off Otis Road where you head out to Don's folks. There's so much stuff hanging in them! And the smell about knocked you over. It hurt my nostrils and I had to leave quickly.
This is a picture of Bills Brothers - guess none of us will be buying any more furniture there for a while!
These photos don't begin to show the magnitude of the destruction or to tell their stories. Yes, this is all stuff, but the stories - the people - they will never be the same again.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

All of us in some way or another have been or will be affected by this flood. A lady at our church said it best when she said, "I hope we listen, I hope we listen"